Wednesday, August 4, 2010 Adventures in Ice Cream


I went to the farmers market fully intending to buy corn for ice cream. Yes, corn for ice cream. I've been on this ice cream kick for a while now. My last real experiment was the Tomato Basil Ice Cream and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It was good, but when are you in the mood for a cup of Tomato Basil Ice Cream? How's about never.

I bought two ears of corn, one white one yellow. I was also putting together some ingredients for a Mexican Wrap recipe I'm making for dinner tonight. Stay tuned, the video will follow. Of course.

When I went into the last booth, where I planned on buying a yellow watermelon (that's why it was last), I saw a container of what looked like small white Chinese Lanters. When I went up to pay for one onion and a five-pound watermelon the guy was talking to someone while pointing to another container of small white Chinese Lanters.

"What are those?" I asked.

"Ground Cherries. Would you like to try one?"

After he instructed me to peel the husk off I popped it in my mouth and bit down on what looked like a small yellow cherry tomato. Sweet-tart, sour - I kinda like it. It burst in my mouth and woke it the fuck up. Suddenly, my mind went to ice cream.

"I taste ice cream in this!", I declared.

So I brought them home and cooked them in some water, lemon juice and sugar. Now they're in a freezer bag awaiting my final decision. When researching Ground Cherry recipies I saw you can dip them in chocolate. So I'm thinking Ground Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream.

But it will have to wait. For tonight I shall make Corn Ice Cream!

Bang on, my peeps!

-HH

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kimmy and I had corn ice cream last year in the Viliage! Awesome, girl. Make some!

Headbanging Hostess said...

I made it last week! It was delicious!!! My friend Marc had ordered me to make him a gallon :)

Post a Comment